Learn to Square and Round Dance
There are many, many reasons to learn to square and round dance! First, it’s a great way to spend time with current friends as well as make new friends. It’s a great physical and mental activity with proven health benefits. Plus, it’s just great FUN!
Please join us at one of our dance lesson opportunities. We’d love to get to know you!
Beginning Mainstream Square Dance Lessons
Redrock Squares Mainstream Lessons
The Redrock Squares in Redmond will begin Mainstream lessons in January, 2020. Come and get in on the fun!
- Lessons begin January 5, 2020 at the Redmond Grange [map]
- Sundays from 3:00 – 5:00 and Wednesdays from 6:00 – 8:00
- First two lessons free!
- $5.00 per person after the first two lessons
- Lessons continue through the end of February
For more information contact Debbie Klug at Nurse4kids@aol.com
High Desert Dancers Mainstream Lessons
Sampler Beginning Mainstream Class starting May 14
- Sponsored by the High Desert Dancers and the Bend Parks & Recreation District
- Lessons held at the Pine Forest Grange in Bend [map]
- Thursday May 14, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Monday May 18, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Thursday May 21, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Must register through Bend Parks & Recreation District at bendparksandrec.org
- Search for Activity #102150
- $25 for those living inside the district; $30 for outside the district
- For more information contact Kay Bithell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Square dancing is a great activity with lots of health and wellness benefits as well just great fun! Come and try it out in just three easy lessons and see what you think! See below for an opportunity to continue Mainstream lessons later in the fall, 2020.
Beginning Mainstream Lessons, Fall 2020
- Lessons begin September 24, 2020, at the Pine Forest Grange in Bend [map]
- Thursdays and Sundays, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- $75 per person for the two-month program
- Lessons continue until November 19, 2020
- For more information contact Kay Bithell at email@example.com
Round Dance Lessons
Redrocks Squares Phase II (Beginning) Waltz Lessons
The Redrock Squares are offering a phase II beginning Waltz class. This class is open to the public. Please come, feel free to bring your friends and your friends friends! There is no preregistration; just show up and have a blast! Click here to download the flyer for these lessons.
- Phase II (Beginning) Waltz Lessons
- Starts January 5, 2020 then every Sunday for 10 weeks
- 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Redmond Grange, 707 SW Kalama St, Redmond [map]
- $5.00 per person per lesson
- For more information contact Mark McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I get information about when the next classes start?
Throughout the year our Central Oregon clubs offer beginning square dance lessons. If you’d like to be contacted about upcoming lessons please complete the contact form at the bottom of this page.
Do women have to wear petticoats at dances?
No. Our Central Oregon clubs have a relaxed dress code at dances. Some ladies love the traditional look and feel of a flying petticoat as they dance. Others prefer to wear denim or peasant skirts or pants. At lessons we always suggest comfortable, casual clothing and shoes that slide easily.
What kind of music is played at square dances these days?
We dance to modern country, old school rock and roll, and pop music.
I don’t have a regular partner. Can I still take lessons?
Definitely. Club members volunteer their time to participate in lessons, and we always make sure that students without partners have one.
I’d like to try lessons, but I’m having a hard time getting my husband to come. Any advice?
Many of our male club members were once very reluctant students so we understand the problem. Here are some analogies that might help with your persuasive effort:
- Square dancing is like being in marching band at halftime and making formations. It’s about moving together and enjoying the music.
- Square dancing is like playing football or basketball. The caller (coach) calls the plays, and the dancers (players) execute them as a team.
- Square dancing is a moving puzzle that eight dancers in a square solve together.
I used to square dance but haven’t in a long time. Do I need to take lessons again?
If you were an accomplished dancer back in the day, visit a dance and try some tips. You may find that it all comes back in a flash. Also, there are some excellent and free online resources for review like Taminations and videosquaredancelessons.com. Of course, we’d love to have you as a star student if you feel the need for some review.
Can I come and see what a dance looks like?
Yes, please! Check the dance activities calendar on this website and find a dance close by. We’d love to have you visit.
What does “mainstream” mean?
A square dance program (or list) is a set of defined calls (moves) that are associated with a level of difficulty. The mainstream calls list is the beginning level for most square dancing. When students complete mainstream lessons they can dance with any of our Central Oregon mainstream clubs—High Desert Dancers in Bend, Red Rock Squares in Redmond and Sagebrush Shufflers in Prinefille. And, because the same mainstream calls are taught and danced throughout the the world, dancers can visit any mainstream club in the USA and be assured that they will be able to dance with that club successfully—a great perk if you like to travel.
2282total visits,1visits today